Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dee - Day One -

So I woke up wondering what to eat since I didn't do my wet market shop yet and all I did have was Oatmeal and my cheap fruit of apples and oranges. So for breakfast I ate one cup of oatmeal with a spoonful of condensed milk.

Almost two thirds finished my bowl of yummy oats I couldn't eat all the oatmeal because I didn't add enough water and I was running late so just for fun, I wanted to see if the cat I'm sitting would like it... after one lick she got up and left.


I ventured the wet market near to closing time for the best deals. Located in Causeway Bay just under the bridge by Times Square where the hustle and bustle of locals trying to sell their fish, noodles, shrimps, eggs, fruits, flowers, meat, everything fresh you can think of! Think of it as walking through a jam packed supermarket, Wellcome, Park and Shop, Loblaws, Zhers and having every single person in there shouting at you the price of every single item in there. That's what it's like in the wet market. It's an amazing experience that can sometimes be overwhelming if you don't have a list or if you're pressed for time!

After the madness I left with sprouts, two eggs, tomatoes, tofu, noodles, two oranges, two apples and an onion. All at a whopping grand total of $44 for the first day!
I should probably tell you now that I didn't eat the second helping of Oatmeal I packed for my lunch and only ate my apple. So for dinner I made noodles with half a tomato, tofu and sprouts.


It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be since part of the challenge is to cook as little as possible so I just threw everything into hot water for a few minutes! The tofu is bland but it's good for you when you can't have meat but the tomatoes tasted like they'd been pickled in muddy water but I still downed the little pieces to get the nutrients and not the flavour.

Day one a success!

Monthly Allowance $500
Spent - $64 (41 from wet market + 20 for the oats)
Left over $436


No comments:

Post a Comment